Monday, June 27, 2011

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Some people would like to think that drawing or illustrating is a talent. I'd like to think of it as a skill you get better with through constant practice and "love" for the craft (whatever it may be). 

The sources I've used for my studies are mainly from Andrew Loomis Anatomy books. I recommend books by Burne Hogarth, Glenn Vilppu or Andrew Loomis. 

Life Drawing classes (preferably with nude models) are a great way of learning form, body composition, gesture and dynamics as a whole. Much better if you can hire models yourself and organize your own figure drawing sessions.


Source: Andrew Loomis

Source: Andrew Loomis

Source: Andrew Loomis

I usually trace initially when I'm not so confident with my line placement. At the same time when you trace, your fingers and wrist will get familiar with the strokes...it's like a form of muscle memory training.



I did this Orc Turnaround with no reference to test myself  if I understood the basics of muscle placement and anatomical balance with the design. I'm quite happy with what I did here...thinking of using it as a template.


No comments:

Post a Comment